Science Week Experiments
Teddy Bear Hospital
Life Long Ago - Dinosaurs!
Sensational Science Week!
Wow...what an incredible week we have had developing our Science knowledge in Year 2!
With photostories to follow, I wanted to share some quotes from our Year 2 pupils at the end of this amazing week:
- "I loved mixing liquids to create a reaction. We saw a volcano erupt and all the lava bubbles came out of the top."
- "We got to learn about how fossils are made. I liked learning about dinosaurs from the past and what they left behind."
- "I found out all about Albert Einstein and Marie Curie. They helped us with science today."
- "I know that worms have five hearts and they eat different food to us."
- "I was so excited to make our own slime. We mixed things together to make something new. It was a bit tricky but we did it."
- "We saw that sugar melts in warm water. It was so exciting to see the colours mix together!"
Bowland Farm Visit
Our Creative Curriculum! Year 2 Afternoon Tea
During our afternoon tea, we participated in lots of activities which explored the human features of England. We made traditional English roses, sketched portraits of Queen Elizabeth II, made English flags, researched about St George and read books by English authors. In addition, we used the construction materials to recreate Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, whilst listening to English music. Outside, we were able to participate in traditional maypole dancing which was lots of fun! During our afternoon, we learned so much about England and enjoyed doing it alongside our families.
Well done Year 2!
What a super first week!
Wow Year 2, I am so impressed with how wonderfully you have immersed yourselves in learning this week! What a fantastic start to the year! We have been asking lots of questions about our new topics, discussing artwork, joining in with collective worship and having lots of fun learning new things. In our Geography this week, we have been learning about the United Kingdom. At home, I wonder how many of you can find...
Which countries are close to the United Kingdom?
Have you visited any of these countries?
How long would it take to travel there?
Well done again for a fantastic first week! I cannot wait to continue our wonderful journey in Year 2
Welcome to Year 2
I am extremely excited to be working in Year 2 this year! I have planned lots of wonderful, fun-filled activities which will continue to fuel your love of learning even further! I know that you are all eager to begin a brand new school year and embrace all the challenges of Year 2.
Below, I have outlined a few important things which will help you get off to a wonderful start this year:
*Never doubt yourself or your abilities. I know that you all have the ability to achieve anything that you set your mind to. Always believe in yourself!
*PE lessons will usually take place twice a week. Please ensure that your PE kit is in school at all times, so that if our usual PE day changes, you are always able to participate readily. The indoor kit is as follows: White top and black shorts. Outdoor kit: Black tracksuit, white top and trainers.
* Read at home every night and discuss what you have read in great detail...remember to aim for quality over quantity. Make a note of what you have read or if you enjoyed a particular book/theme at home, then we can explore this further in class. I always like to share one of my favourite quotes at the beginning of the school year...
"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go."
– Dr Seuss
* Practise your spellings at home each day. The spellings follow the patterns we are learning in class and really will enable your children to develop an embedded understanding of the spelling patterns. Spellings shall be tested on a weekly basis in school in order for us to identify when spelling patterns can be applied independently.
*Learn your number bonds to 20 and your times tables (In Year 2, we focus on 10s, 2s, 5s and 3s)
*Ensure that your weekly homework or Learning Log is completed and handed in on time.
* Come to school every day ready to learn! The doors open at 8.35am and registration begins promptly at 8.45am.
I know these are things you all can achieve. Year 2 is going to be a year filled with laughter, development and
excitement. I cannot wait to see each and every child flourish in confidence, knowledge and independence!
Please see our class newsletter for details of our 'Meet the Teacher' meetings, which will help to inform you as parents/guardians for the year ahead.